Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bear Hunt--RAWHH

The most exciting hunt I ever had was black bear hunting at our property in Parks, Arkansas. This was my husband's first bear hunt too, so we were complete novices. A month or two before season opened, we set our bait spot and readied our trail cameras. Within forty-five minutes of setting out bait for the first time, we got pictures of a big bear. With beginner's luck, we continued to get pictures almost every day up until the season started. It is hard to describe the feeling I had that first morning as we walked into the bait site, everything still pitch black outside. My imagination ran wild--I pictured a huge bear sitting there eating breakfast and us walking right into it. To my relief, we made it to the site and climbed up our trees with no issues; however, I will admit that I was climbing that tree as fast as I could go.

Before the sun rose, we could hear a lot of rustling underneath us. I was squinting down into the darkness trying to make out a figure when a wicked growl sounded. I jumped so hard I think my heart skipped a beat or two. Low growls and scuffling continued underneath us as the sun began to rise. As daylight broke, our ferocious bear turned out to be two raccoons fighting over the corn pile. The bear from our camera never showed back up again, but we did come home with a lot of laughs and a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment