Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My first deer...finally!!

Finally, in October of 2011, I made a great 30 yard shot on a doe. By this time I was shooting a BowTech Heartbreaker at 53#. If this doe would have been a target I would have scored a 10 or 12. I could not have been happier with my shot. As she went crashing into the thicket, I could barely contain myself. Mikey was videotaping and we were full of "high-fives" and hugs. I think he was just as excited as i was. After waiting a few hours, we went to search for her. There was a good blood trail, but after about forty yards it disappeared. After searching throughout the night and over the next few days, we never found my doe. I was devastated. I cannot remember any other time in my life where I felt that disappointed in myself. I had convinced myself that my third year of hunting was finally going to pay off and now I had blown it.

At this point, I relented to Mikey and went rifle hunting. I badly wanted my first deer to be a bow kill, but I was ready to get some meat in the freezer. We went to our rifle stand that following Saturday. Like clockwork, a large doe came out at around 225 yards. I looked through my scope, long enough to determine that she was a doe and not a spike, then pulled the trigger of my .270. She dropped in her tracks. I could not believe it was over so fast. We spent the rest of the day showing her off to my family, taking pictures, and posting my story online. I wanted the world to know that I had killed my first deer; the streak was over.




My first deer






Thank you for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment